Post 16 Curriculum
At Post 16, the Academy delivers an ambitious and relevant curriculum, which equips students with the skills, knowledge and understanding to secure exceptional outcomes and make a success of their lives within their own communities and beyond. The curriculum is regularly evaluated and adapted to ensure it is coherent, high quality and provides inclusive opportunities for all with the thread of co-operative values and principles running through it. Key features are:
- A variety of appropriate pathway offers, delivered through a long-standing partnership with Crawshaw Academy, which caters for all learners through a combination of traditional Advanced level courses, Applied General courses and a Level 2 programme.
- A varied and engaging range of personal development opportunities ensuring all learners have access to a wide, rich set of experiences that promote positive contributions to society. Examples include volunteering within the local community, supporting in lessons and mentoring students in Key Stage 3.
- Supervised study periods with small groups and one to one support offered around a number of study skills including organisation, time management and managing deadlines.
- A coaching-based approach to delivering key aspects of SMSC education, which is further supported by three Personal Development Days a year.
- A quality programme of maths and English support for those students who have not yet achieved a Grade 4 in either subject. Core maths is also part of the curriculum offer for those students wishing to further develop their mathematical skills after successfully completing GCSE.
- A work experience programme, ensuring 100% of students get access to a placement or relevant work related learning.
In partnership with Crawshaw Academy we offer a wide range of courses to meet the needs of individual students many of whom go on to top universities and higher level apprenticeships. The close partnership between Co-op Academy Priesthorpe & Crawshaw Academy ensures a broad curriculum offer. Many of our students travel between the sites to access subjects offered at the other schools.
Subjects offered include:
- A Level Maths • A Level Physical Education
- A Level English Language • A Level Philosophy & Ethics
- A Level Biology • A Level Geography
- A Level Chemistry • A Level History
- A Level Physics • A Level Art
- A Level Computing • A Level Sociology
- A Level Business • A Level Applied Science
- RSL Level 3 Music Technology • BTEC Level 3 Business
- BTEC Level 3 Dance • BTEC Level 3 Health &Social Care
- A Level French• A Level Psychology
- BTEC Level 3 Sport • A Level Photography
- Level 2 Public Services • Level 2 Workskills
- Re-sit GCSE Maths • Re-sit GCSE English
Post 16 students are also offered a wide range of curriculum enrichment activities to ensure they are well prepared for university and the world of work. These include:
- Volunteering • Mentoring
- Support in lessons • Work experience
- University visits • Supporting school events
- Scholars Programme
- Sign Language Course
- LEAP Business Enterprise
- Outreach Opportunities
For more information on our curriculum
Please call or email, Mrs Louise Pratt, Vice Principal.